Saturday, December 16, 2006

Newyork, Subway & Me.

I came to Newyork few days back, with lots of feedback about the city in my mind from my fellow collegues. Actually it was a evening time when I arrived here, so all I could see was lights, tall buildings, heavy traffic, big bridges, and yes......... and people; everywhere, all around.... everyone seem to be in rush, as if trying to catch up with the things they are chasing for. When I arrived here, all the people were busy running around here and there, It seemed I was the only one with the time for everything and anything, without any rush, and without any idea about where I ought to be. Thankfully there were some friends who came to pick me up. I tried to learn from them about the city that night, the five main parts of the metropolitan..... queens, bronx, brooklyn, long island and staten island, downtown/ uptown, brooklyn bridge, manhattan bridge, ....... and 2 more bridges I dont remember the name, statue of liberty, empire state building, ............. & blaw, blaw. My poor mind, lots to swallow at once. So I just gave up, just trying to enjoy wats before me. The lights and the colors, thats it.

Then came the subway. My friends were trying to teach me, 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ A/ B/ C/ D/ E/ F/ G/ S, the green line, blue and yellow line, and the connections, its was already too much for me. I just gave up and, was saying to myself - Enough for tonight. Poor me, how was I to know that there was lots to come, to be travelling alone, and the need to keep pace with the life that dwells under the ground in this city. Now everytime I go for a subway ride, I have to take a map, and while I travel, I have to make sure the train is moving in the right direction and not in the exact opposite way of where I intend to go.

One thing is for sure, if you come to newyork and see the people around here, you wont miss your homeland. Yes there is wide variety of faces and structures and creatures and attires and ways you could see around here, but there are quite many people that look like they originate from our part of world, I mean South-East Asia. And most of the people, when they meet us, one first thing they ask is "Are you Indian?". I dont know why, but I dont like it at all. I like saying 'I am Nepalese', Yes Nepalese!! And we have our own identity as a Nepalese that we could take pride on. I just cant help making analogy of things that I see here, with the things back at home, Newyork n newroad .... I feel the same, Same rush, same type of crowd, same colors all around, same traffic, the only difference is the size and the magnitude of crowd, n the geography. When its same, one thing struck my mind, cant we build a subway in our city back home, may be if Prachanda or any other wasted politician comes over here and gets a subway ride, he would say 'We need to build like this at home', 'We will pressurize the government to do it' 'We will start a peoples war for it' .......... or something crap, which our people just could listen, and tolerate. Yes , being Nepalese We have very high degree of tolerance..... More about tolerance later..
Have to sleep now.